Inspired by easy-to-eat chopped salad, this version is the best dinner salad. Chickpeas, tomatoes and feta salad – It is packed with protein and fiber, we find it automatically a more filling meal.
I am not at all a salad person and my siblings are totally opposite of me. During my last trip to USA, my sister insisted me to have chickpeas salad. To my surprise it was just wow!! From then, I am nearly obsessed with this salad. I make it a LOT because I find it’s truly one of those salads I find satisfying to have as one protein-packed meal.
While we are still experiencing a lot of grocery shortages in the middle of this pandemic, I have focused on ingredients which are easily available at everyone’s home and the dressing is simple too. It all boils down to 5 components:
- Chickpeas – It add great protein and fiber to this salad. Experts say chickpeas may help with weight loss.
- Olive Oil – There are many options in market. The most flavorful is Extra virgin olive oil and works the best in this recipe.
- Give your salad an extra boost of protein – by adding add feta Cheese / Cottage cheese (Paneer) or nuts.
- Veggies of your choice – I have added onions, bell pepper (green capsicum), cucumber and cherry tomatoes
- Dressing – The red wine vinaigrette is the best that goes with pretty much everything. Although, due to limited resources at home due to lockdown, I have swapped it with Apple Cider vinegar.
As a side, this chickpeas salad will pair beautifully with simple potato patty (potato tikki) or with mix vegetable patty. Chickpeas salad is a complete meal by itself that is low in fat, high in protein and incredibly delicious.
- 1 cup chickpeas – soaked overnight & boiled
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped into pieces
- ¾ cup of feta cheese / cottage cheese (Paneer)
- Few cherry tomatoes / 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 2 cucumber, chopped into pieces
For dressing you need:
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Add all the chopped veggies in a bowl.
- Then add feta cheese / cottage cheese (Paneer) to it and gently toss to combine it to together.
- Add dressing to the mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy !
- Soak the chickpeas overnight, it will soften the pulses enough.
- You can customize to make your own salad:
- Combine chickpeas with shredded red cabbage strands, chopped cucumbers, roasted coarsely grounded peanuts, and handful of fresh coriander leaves (cilantro).
- Another can be by combining chickpeas with crunchy ice berg leaves, roasted chopped bell peppers (red/yellow), small mozzarella cubes, sliced olives and jalapenos.
- You can store it in an airtight container in a refrigerator for upto 2 days
To know more about healthy recipes, Click here