With limited resources at home in the current situation of Covid 19 Pandemic, motivation for cooking and baking can go on a toss. One afternoon I was just thinking what next should I make for my child to surprise him and share a happy moment of joy in these gloomy days. And then a fresh idea baked in my mind, I just thought if I could bake some fresh healthy cookies as a snack for my son. Although I didn’t have all-purpose flour at home but luckily I found some Ragi available. And to my surprise, I also got hold of some brown sugar too.
So here I bring to you a healthy recipe on Ragi cookies. Ragi is also known as Nachni or Millet.
Nutritional Benefit – Ragi is very rich in nutrition. It’s packed with calcium, good carbs, amino acids and Vitamin D. The calcium content of Ragi is extremely high, hence, is beneficial for your child’s developing bones.
You can also increase the richness of Ragi cookies by adding crushed Almonds. It is recommended that you use Brown Sugar instead of White Sugar. Jaggery powder is another healthy option in place of Sugar.
- 1/2 cup Ragi Flour
- 1/2 cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup almonds powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp of Cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or jaggery powder
- 6 tbsp milk
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup ghee
- A pinch of salt
- Grease the cookie tray with ghee and set it aside. Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
- Firstly, mix all dry ingredients – Take a mixing bowl and add Ragi flour, wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and sieve them nicely.
- Then add Brown Sugar/ Jaggery & ghee to the dry ingredients and mix everything well.
- Adding ghee and mixing it makes the mixture look like crumble.
- Now, add almonds powder and chocolate chips to it. Then add milk little by little and knead it to a smooth dough.
- Make small lemon sized balls out of the cookie dough and flatten it in between the palms.
- Place these balls in the cookie tray. Make sure there is enough spacing between each cookie as they expand during baking.
- Place the cookie tray in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes. Make sure you bake it till they are crisp and not burnt.
- After baking is done, carefully take out the cookie tray and place it in the cooling rack to cool down.
- Allow the cookies to come to room temperature. Cooling process will make the cookies much crispier.
- Yummy and crunchy Ragi cookies are now ready to serve with some hot coffee.
My son could not wait to eat the lip-smacking hot Ragi cookies.
So why wait? Follow the above recipe and bake some healthy cookies for your loved ones!
Have a cookies recipe to share? Comment below
To know more about healthy recipes, Click here