Sabudana, also called as Sago, is a common ingredient that is used in some recipes made during the fasting period. It is usually utilized when Hindus keep fasts for various festivals like Navratri, Mahashivratri, etc. It refers to the starch that is extracted from Tapioca roots. It is then processed to form spherical pearls that may vary in size.
Here you will find an authentic Maharashtrian recipe on how to make the best use of Sabudana. So here is a recipe of Sabudana Wada which is also a perfect festive delicacy. It tastes best with coconut-peanut chutney or simply with yogurt (dahi).
Nutritional benefit – Sabudana is very light on stomach and is rich in good carbs, fibre and calcium. Hence, it might help to prevent digestion issues, bloating and constipation.
- 1.5 cups Sabudana / Sago (soaked overnight)
- 2 medium size boiled potatoes
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup of coarsely grounded peanuts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp jeera
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- Oil for frying
- Firstly, soak 1.5 cups of sabudana in water in a medium sized bowl for 5 to 6 hours or overnight. Water should be just at the level of Sabudana pearls.
- It will absorb all the water and puff double in size leaving no extra water to the bottom.
- Press Sabudana pearls between fingers to check if it has softened.
- Take the soaked sabudana in a large bowl.
- Add boiled mashed potatoes, grounded peanuts, sugar, coriander, green chillies, salt, lemon juice, jeera and ghee to it.
- Mix it well in kneading motion and bring all the ingredients together forming a dough like consistency.
- Make wada for deep frying or shallow frying.
- Line them in a plate while you get the oil ready for frying.
- Once the oil is hot, put Wada one by one and fry till it becomes golden and crisp.
- Serve hot with coconut peanut chutney or curd.
Ingredients For Chutney
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 inch ginger
- Salt to taste
Method for Chutney
- Grind above ingredients together into smooth paste.
- Remove it in a bowl and serve with hot sabudana wada.
Smart Tips while preparing Sabudana Wada:
- Ensure oil is not too hot, else Sabudana Wada will get burnt and will remain uncooked from inside.
- One can avoid lemon juice if not available but if utilized, it gives a lovely flavor.
- People having Jain preparation can use 2 raw boiled bananas instead of potatoes.
- Health conscious people can simply make these sabudana wada in appe pan. Just brush you pan with 1/4th tsp oil and place sabudana wada over appe pan and cook till it becomes crisp and golden brown.
If you have any queries while preparing the same, please drop in comments in the below comment section and we shall get back to you.
“Click here to check other recipes on Rawa”